What Makes a Great Podcast Guest?
What is a podcast and why are they popular?
Podcasts are a form of on-demand audio show. They are usually released episodically and can be listened to at any time. Podcasts can be about anything, from tech to politics to comedy.
The podcast format was originally referred to as an ‘audio blog’ and has roots that go back to the 1980’s. With the development of broadband and portable digital audio players like the iPod, the format exploded. The term “podcast” was coined in 2004 by Ben Hammersley, a British journalist who created the show “The Guardian’s Weekly podcast”. He is often credited with coming up with this word as he wanted something that sounded like “broadcast”, but had the portability of an iPod.
The Role of Podcasts in Marketing
Podcasts are a great marketing tool. They allow brands to reach millions of people who are interested in the content they have to offer. This form of marketing is not only free but it also allows the brand to establish a personal connection with their customers.
Podcasting should be a part of a content marketing strategy – either hosting one or being a podcast guest. Podcasts create very loyal fan bases, who become invested in who the podcasters are – often personally and professional. With the loyalty comes trust. So when that podcast mentions a product or a guest, the audience is prepared to trust that recommendation. This then, becomes a great brand promotion and why you should be considering being a podcast guest.
How to be a great Podcast Guest
In this article, we will explore the basics of being a great podcast guest. We will also discuss some tips for preparing for your interview and what to do after you have been interviewed to make sure your message is heard.
- Research the show you are going on. Follow the program. Learn about their fans and what’s important to them.
- Consider questions that you could be asked and share them with the host before the interview.
- Be prepared to answer any question that is thrown at you during an interview.
- Keep it short, be professional and be yourself!
How to be a successful podcast guest and promote your content at the same time.
Podcasts are a great way to promote your business/product. They are in-demand and people love to listen to them. Here are some tips on how you can be a successful podcast guest and promote your content at the same time.
- Find out what kind of podcasts exist in your niche and then find the right person to reach out to. OR, consider engaging a podcast booking agent to assist you with this process.
- Be prepared with interesting things to talk about, which means that you should have a plan before going live.
- Try and make sure that you have something new or unique that no one else has talked about. If you don’t, it will be hard for people to find value in what you’re saying during the interview.
- Make sure that you read through the transcript of the interview once it’s published so that can translate it into a companion blog article on your website.
- Don’t rely solely on the podcaster to promote your appearance. Promote it through your own marketing channels – on your website and through your social media channels.
- Do you have an email list? Share a short message to your subscribers with an invitation to listen to the podcast by including a link over to the podcaster’s podcast channel.
You may not be able to get on the Joe Rogan podcast guest list and reach his millions of followers, but, there are probably hundreds (if not thousands) of niche podcasts that can help you reach your target audience. Contact us for more options for creating a podcast guest campaign.